MUNG BEAN SOUP
Yield: 5-6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Calories: 196 kcal
- 1 ½ cups Mung beans (yellow or green)
- 1 lb Pork or Beef cubes
- 8 cups Water
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 5-6 crushed Garlic cloves
- 2 medium-size Onions, chopped
- 5 diced Roma Tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp light Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (10 oz) bag of Spinach
Get ingredients by Panaceaingredients.com
- Place the dried mung beans and meat on a heavy-bottomed, large and deep pan (like a Dutch oven). Pour the water over. Bring to a boil, cover and then simmer until the meat is tender (about 1 hour more or less).
- The mung should be tender already at this point. Refill the water as needed. If you are using Beef which takes longer to cook, I suggest boiling it first until the meat is slightly tender.
- Add the mung beans and continue to simmer until both the beans and beef are tender. Turn off heat.
- In another large skillet, heat the oil. Saute the garlic and onion for a couple of minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the cooked tomatoes into the beans mixture. Season with soy sauce and fish sauce, to taste. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for another 2 minutes or until wilted.
- If you want a thicker soup simmer until desired consistency is reached or if you wish a more watery one, just add more water.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary.