BLACK BEANS AND PLANTAIN STEW
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cuisine: West African
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Calories: 220 kcal
- 4 cups cooked black beans
- 2 medium green plantains sliced in rings
- 1 14.5oz hunts fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups Chopped Kale
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 inch ginger
- 1 medium habanero
- 1 large basil leave
- 1 small green onion
- 3 cups water
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Get ingredients by Panaceaingredients.com
- Heat oil in skillet, and saute onions for about 1-2 minutes. Add in garlic , plantains and pan fry with onions for about 3 minutes until plantains start to brown.
- Add in fire roasted tomatoes, stir gently and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Blend ginger, green onion, habanero, basil with a little bit of water until creamy. Add this to skillet, together with beans and 3 cups of water. Stir well, bring to a boil and reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Season with salt.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes, add in chopped kale and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes until plantains are tender. Add a little more water if too thick
- Season to taste if necessary and serve warm.
- Some meat options could be sausage, ham or bacon. You can also add smoked fish.
- Feel free to use any beans, but note that plantains might take a little longer to cook and your beans could be mushy.
- This can also be made in a crockpot, after sautéing plantains with onions and garlic, transfer to a crockpot and cook on medium until plantains are tender.